Sunday, September 24, 2017

Day 4

I started out Thursday by doing the exercise assessment.  Since I was double booked on Wednesday I was asked to come in early at 8:30am on Thursday.  I didn't mind as I would rather do it earlier than later.  I asked my Mantatawague partner if they would like to sit in.  They brought their whole group and three of them sat in.  It was okay, because I know they are learning too.   I ended up not being able to do much and felt like a failure.  It's not fair that 1 year and a bit a ago I was swimming 2 km most mornings and now I can't even walk 6 feet without balance issues while concentrating on a task.   After the assessment I sat in on group.  Today we learned about what creates pain.  Pain is from the nervous system.  When pain is caused, it travels from the area that was 'hurt' to the spinal cord which travels to the brain.  When people say that invisible illnesses are all in the head, they are completely correct.  They are all in the head.  However, they are REAL in the HEAD.   We then had another session on movement and why we need to move each part of our body, and what creates movement.  It sounded like physio all over again, activating the core muscles and pelvic floor to keep our backs strong and correct posture. 

Mark, social worker found me after floating in the hallway.   We had a chat in his office just about the new referrals.  I'm feeling pretty down on the whole thing; but we made it feel real.  I knew that it was a possibility but it still hurts that they can't fix me.   I spent the afternoon napping and going for starbucks with a friend.  IT was a good end of the day.  

GOAL: Swim 3 x in next week and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Articles

here is a list of relevant articles which I will be updating as needed http://www.uhn.ca/corporate/News/Pages/The_role_of_anxiety_in_TBI_...